The indirect calorimeters take a snapshot of your clients RMR or Metabolic Fingerprint in 5-10 minutes, so it’s important that your client is in a baseline, rested state.
BodyGem and MedGem Measurement Protocol Checklist
RMR Test Conditions
In order to obtain an accurate RMR measurement, clients need to be in a baseline state.
At the time of their appointment, clients must not have:
- Eaten for at least 4 hours (water is OK)
- Exercised for at least 4 hours
- Consumed caffeine for at least 4 hours.
- Consumed nutritional supplements or medications containing ephedra, Ma Huang, or pseudoephedrine for at least 4 hours.
- Used any form of nicotine for at least 1 hour
You or your staff must inform clients of the resting conditions when scheduling appointments.
You may wish to include the information on an appointment reminder card or when making confirmation phone calls the day before. Many of Microlife’s brochures also have the resting conditions printed on the back for quick reference.
BodyGem and MedGem Preparation
RMR measurements should be conducted in a quiet, comfortable environment.
- A private office is ideal because outside distractions should be minimized during the measurement.
- Plug in the device at an AC outlet.
- Insert the single-use mouthpiece into flowtube.
- Place the device upright on a flat surface, away from vents, fans, or forced air.
- Press the start button to begin a self-test. Do not move the device during this period.
- Begin the measurement within one minute from the time the indicator light flashes green, and the device beeps once.
If the measurement is not started in time, the device will go into standby mode. If that happens, just place the device upright on a hard, flat surface, and press the start button to reinitialize the measurement.
- Client has nose clip on and a tight seal around the mouthpiece.
- Individual is in a relaxed position and breathes normally throughout the measurement.
- Avoid distractions such as watching television or reading.
- Ask the individual to keep both feet on the floor and refrain from fidgeting during the duration of the measurement.
- Remove the nose clip and discard the single-use mouthpiece. Do not dislodge or discard the flowtube
- Record the RMR# result that is displayed on the LCD screen.
BodyGem and MedGem RMR Test Time
You should allow 30 minutes for each RMR measurement appointment.
This allows for at least 10 minutes of resting upon arrival, 5-10 minutes for the RMR measurement, and 10-15 minutes to evaluate and explain the results to your client.
Contact me at 1-800-743-3328 to discuss Microlife BodyGem and MedGem RMR System Kit pricing options.